Babywearing is a practice of keeping the babies close using a carrier. After having carried the babies in the womb for almost a year, babies are used to hearing the heartbeat of their mothers. So keeping them close to us keeps them calm and happy. Babywearing has been practiced since ages and with growing nuclear families, babywearing has now gained popularity.
Before we go into detail with the benefits and different babywearing carriers, let us first know the difference between ergonomic and non-ergonomic carriers. Non-ergonomic leaves the baby’s legs dangling which puts a lot of pressure on the baby’s hips. Also, it does not support the spine of the baby. Whereas, the ergonomic carriers are designed in a way to support the baby’s spine in a natural C shape and also carry the baby in M position, giving the best support to their hips.
- Happy babies: Heartbeats and the breathing of the person carrying soothes the baby. Colicky babies are soothed easily by wearing them
- Bonding: Strengthens the bond between parents and the child since the child
- Calmer babies: Babies can see the facial expressions of the caregiver. The caregiver can be seen, heard, and also smelled. This makes the babies feel secure.
- Breastfeeding: Babywearing helps mothers to breastfeed on-the-go. Physical contact with the newborns helps increase the production of hormone, oxytocin, which is proved to decrease postpartum depression and increase the production of breast milk in mothers.
- Decreases Flat-head syndrome: Less sleeping in a supine position, decreases the risk of the flat-head syndrome and SIDS.
- Hands-Free: With increasing nuclear families, and reduced support to mothers, baby wearing helps parents get the work done hands-free.
- Early language development: Since the babies are held closer and are often talked to, baby wearing helps in early language development in babies.
Soul as a Babywearing company
Founded by Chinmayie Bhat, Soul is a family run business. Soul believes that babywearing can make the world happier. It creates independent, healthy secure, loving and sensitive people, who then go on to spread this virtue to the next generation.
Read more about the founder and the story of soul here.
There are different types of carriers available for carrying children from newborn to toddler-hood.
This is the oldest form of carriers and is the most versatile type of all the carriers available. Wraps are pieces of clothes in different sizes. These are perfect for babies from birth to toddler years.
Weight Recommendation: up-to 25 kg.
Fabric: Cotton, Linen, Jacquard, Handwoven, Linen.
Type of Carrying: Front, Back, and Hip
To buy Soul Wraps, Click here.
Ring Sling is a piece of fabric that passes through 2 rings which creates a pouch for the baby to sit. This carrier can be used to carry children from newborn to toddlerhood. Ring slings come in a single and double layer of fabric. These are comfortable, stylish yet sturdy carriers.
Weight Recommendation: Up-to 15 kg.
Fabric: Cotton, Linen, Jacquard, Handwoven, Linen
Type of Carrying: Front, Back, and Hip
To buy Soul Ring Slings, Click
Meh Dai carriers are carriers inspired from Asia(China), designed with features to meet modern comfort and convenience. Meh Dai carriers come with a soft body panel, padded shoulder panels, and a waist strap to tie across the waist.
Weight Recommendation: 7- 18 kg
Fabrics: Cotton, Linen, Jacquard
Type of Carrying: Front and back
To buy Soul Meh Dai, click here.
Onbuhimo carriers are inspired from the Japanese version of baby carrying style and are designed with features to meet modern comfort and convenience. These are waist-less buckle carriers that are designed to be worn high on the back. A perfect carrier for a day out, these are light-weight carriers that fit babies who have sufficient torso control.
Weight Recommendation: 7-18 kg
Fabrics: Linen, Handwoven, Cotton, Jacquard
Type of carrying: Back
To buy Soul Onbuhimo, click here.
Buckle/Soft Structured Carriers(SSC)
SSC is the most popular choice of all the carriers since this has a less learning curve and is hassle-free for the parents/caregivers to put on, adjust and take it off. These carriers have a padded, buckled waistband, padded buckled shoulder straps and a back panel with a sleep hood. SSCs are available in 2 variations: Standard and Toddler. Newborns can be carried in Soul’s specially designed SSC, AnoonA.
Weight Recommendation: 7 – 20 kg
Fabrics: Cotton, Jacquard, Linen, hand-woven
Type of carrying: Front, Back, and Hip
Note: Soul AnoonA offers Newborn and Front Face Out carrying options.
To buy Soul SSCs are which available in 3 variations, Click